51. orient, bright; the fresh East as being the light source; applied to a rip, V. A good. 981, «an orient drop.»
59, 60. eyes, I will take off out of their sight this deceit hence suppresses the girl regarding viewing some thing because they really are.
61. so it transformed scalp, which converting lead, this direct with which he has been turned; head was securely the skin of head on that hair grows.
63, 4. resolve, comparable to ‘That they all awaking with her, can get,’ an such like.; some other, made use of just like the a beneficial plural, get a hold of Abb. § 12; fix, contained in this feel out-of Lat. repatriare, to return so you’re able to an individual’s nation.
65. injuries, incidents; cp. Temp. v. 1. 305, «the story off my entire life While the kind of accidents gone by Since i have stumbled on so it island.»
70. Dian’s bud, Steevens claims this is basically the bud of your Agnus Castus or Chaste Forest; and prices Macer’s Herball «The new vertue with the herbe are, that he wyll kepe man and you may girl chaste.» Halpin, inside the need of Oberon’s eyes, observes right here an allusion to help you Elizabeth’s maiden love; she getting represented within the identity out of Diana.
77. Quiet, possibly a reference to the necessity of silence if you are an enchantment had been allowed to works; cp. Temp, iv. step 1. 59, 127, Epilogue, ten.
78, nine. and you can hit . experience, and you may overwhelm, a whole lot more totally than just average sleep would do, the sense of them four, viz., Hermia, Helena, Lysander, Demetrius, Bottom.
Stage Guidance. Audio, nonetheless. Based on Dyce, which have which Delius and Staunton concur, this type of terms imply still otherwise flaccid sounds; and also in resistance so you’re able to Collier, exactly who believes the musical was to getting heard for a good while you are, and also to give it up in advance of Puck spoke. Dyce argues your music wasn’t designed to begin from the the till Oberon got exclaimed «Sound songs,» 1. 82. «The fresh stage assistance,» according to him, «(as it is the case having stage rules in the old takes on) is put for this reason early in order to alert the newest painters to be in readiness.»
81. with thine . peep, come across something with your own personal foolish attention, as you have started will not accomplish, rather than into vision regarding an ass in which your enjoys recently seen some thing.
82. take hands, sign-up give; Dyce points out that here «some sort of a great pas de- deux was danced of the fairy king and you may king.»
93. Travel we . shade, why don’t we carefully proceed with the darkness of one’s nights to this a portion of the business that it could well be shadowing.
102. vaward, forepart; another spelling away from ‘vanward’ (or ‘vanguard’), of O. F. avant ahead of and you will ‘ward’ (otherwise ‘guard’). ii. H. IV. we. 2. 199, «and we that will be throughout the vaward of your youngsters, I have to confess, was wags as well.»
104. Uncouple, let the pet out of the glides. For the sake of the fresh new metre. Pope omits the words let them, and you may Dyce comes after him.
110. bay’d the incur, brought the newest bear so you can a stay-still; «bay — F. abois, abbois, Cotgrave claims — ‘a stag is considered rendre les abbois, whenever, weary regarding running, he transforms up on the brand new hounds, and you can retains them at the or puts these to a beneficial bay’. The initial feeling of aboi ‘s the bark regarding your dog,» three day rule . (Skeat, Ety. Dict.): incur are changed because of the Hanmer in order to ‘boar,’ but happen-query can often be said inside old English books, and you can incur-baiting is an interest well-known in Shakespeare’s day.
112. chiding, audio produced by the new hounds providing tongue; put of your snap inside the Good. Y. L. ii. step one. eight, of ocean in H. VIII. iii. 2. 197, of the tempest into the T. C. i. step three. 54.